Psoriasis is a common skin disease. Its name comes from the Greek word "psora" (translated as "itch"). Today, about 5% of the world's population suffers from this disease.
Psoriasis can occur in people of all ages, from newborns to the elderly. Practice shows that most patients are young people. They go to the doctor with suspected psoriasis.
Before visiting a clinic, you need to know which specialist you should contact with such complaints.
Which doctor should I consult if I suspect psoriasis?
In case of the first signs of psoriasis, it is necessary to visit a dermatologist. After all, the symptoms of this disease first appear on the skin.
A specialist who conducts competent treatment of skin diseases will make the correct diagnosis, as well as implement all necessary therapeutic measures.
If the patient has a complicated type of psoriasis (psoriatic arthropathy), treatment should be performed by a professional rheumatologist.
No matter which specialist the patient consults, the doctor can easily confirm or, conversely, refute the presence of this disease.
Treating any form of psoriasis is a laborious process. By the way, a complete cure in principle does not occur. Even with the disappearance of symptoms, the disease enters a phase of regression. In this case, the symptoms may disappear completely.
Which doctor treats psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a systemic disease whose symptoms are not limited to skin rashes. Its course is often accompanied by changes in metabolism, immune disorders, as well as failures in the endocrine system.
Violations often affect the work of internal organs. Accordingly, consulting a dermatologist in this case is not enough.
Psoriatic plaques form on the scalp in many patients. In this case, the advice of an appropriate specialist is also needed.
It is very important that the patient with psoriasis is regularly under the supervision of an experienced dermatologist. This is very important, because this disease can get worse several years after remission.
In addition, the specialist conducts the necessary studies to determine the underlying disease, which could have caused the development of skin disease.
In that case, it is necessary to carry out its effective treatment.
All therapeutic measures, regardless of the severity of the disease, must be agreed with a dermatologist. Sometimes psoriasis causes the development of pathology that affects the joints - psoriatic arthropathy. In case of any complications, the specialist refers the patient to a rheumatologist.
Answering the common question of which specialist treats psoriasis, many people forget that it is important to eliminate not only the external manifestations of the disease, but also the cause that caused the deterioration of well-being. Consequently, effective treatment of the disease is not possible without the help of highly specialized experts.
The following are doctors who treat psoriasis and its common complications:
- gastroenterologist: The help of this doctor is needed in cases of severe organ damage. In this case, it is often necessary to take strong medications. Despite the fact that they negatively affect the condition, work of the stomach, liver, the course of treatment with the use of these drugs gives a good effect;
- cardiologist: pathology may be accompanied by significant disorders of the heart (pericarditis, myocarditis). In such cases, the patient simply needs the professional help of a cardiologist;
- nephrologist:certain forms of the disease are accompanied by major malfunctions, partial dysfunction of the bladder, kidneys. Treatment of such pathologies should be carried out by a qualified physician;
- neurologist:neurological pathologies often cause recurrence of skin disease. Accordingly, patients prone to prostatitis (or when it recurs) should undergo a preventive examination every 3-6 months;
- rheumatologist: in case of arthropathy, consultation with a rheumatologist is necessary. It is impossible to get rid of the disease without the right principle of treatment.
Treatment of pathology is effective only with timely action. Compliance with the doctor's recommendations will allow you to deal with mental discomfort, as well as to exclude the development of complications in the future.
All patients with psoriasis are recommended to see a psychologist. More than 78% of exacerbations of the disease are manifested due to nervous tension, severe stress.
An experienced psychologist will help each patient cope with emotional stress. Thanks to that, it will be possible to adapt much better in society.
Clarification of the diagnosis: what medical examinations do you need to undergo?
During the initial diagnostic examination, if psoriasis is suspected, the patient must undergo the following mandatory examinations during the initial examination:
- Urine analysis: necessary to determine water and salt balance;
- faecal analysis:it is necessary to detect the possible presence of helminths in the body;
- blood test: general, as well as biochemistry. Many patients mistakenly believe that blood helps to refute or confirm a diagnosis. However, that is not entirely true. Such a study is conducted to identify possible complications caused by the disease. Blood also allows you to determine the presence of allergic reactions in the body.
Additional studies include:
- bacteriological culture: is carried out in case of a rash on the mucosa. This is necessary to rule out pharyngitis (acute);
- radiography: if the patient has joint pain and the doctor suspects the presence of psoriatic arthritis, an auxiliary study of bone structure is performed;
- skin biopsy: in order to clarify the diagnosis, a cytological examination of the epidermis is performed, which is removed from the affected skin. Samples are taken from one or more body parts.
What does complete medical support to the patient include?
The ultimate goal of the doctor's work is to preserve a person's working ability, as well as to prevent the disability of a patient suffering from psoriasis.
If the patient has already applied for qualified care in a serious condition, hospital treatment is required. In satisfactory condition, experts recommend dispensary observation.
In that case, you must visit the doctor regularly. Thanks to that, it will be possible to better control the dynamics of the disease.
Complete medical support for a patient suffering from psoriasis includes treatment in a special sanatorium or clinic. It is not uncommon for patients to go to a specialized vacation home for two weeks.
In such medical institutions, the patient is under the constant supervision of experienced specialists. At the same time, not only the effectiveness of treatment is controlled. The spas are also designing the most suitable menu for guests suffering from psoriasis.
Many will agree that psoriasis is an unpleasant disease for the patient (from a physical and moral point of view). Fortunately, today medicine knows many ways to effectively treat psoriasis.
Patients should be aware that there are many specialists today who can come to their aid. Regardless of the degree of the disease, this disease must be treated competently. Only with the right approach is it possible to achieve positive results and achieve sustainable remission.